– 4 Essential Skills for Transformational School and District Leaders
In Time for Change, Anthony Muhammad and Luis F. Cruz describe effective organizational change as having two dimensions: the technical and the cultural. In order to efficiently create change in both of these dimensions, leaders should have a comprehensive and balanced set of leadership skills. To this end, the authors explore four skills essential to the transformational leader that combine to form the authors’ Why? Who? How? Do! model.
- Communicating the rationale to build cognitive investment
- Establishing trust to make an emotional investment
- Building capacity to make a functional investment
- Getting results to collect the return on investment
This book offers powerful guidance for those who seek to develop and strengthen their ability to get results as they lead their schools toward transformational change.
School leaders will:
- Gain a deeper understanding of leadership as a skill to practice and improve
- Understand the role of effective leadership in creating positive change
- Learn ways to address the technical and cultural dimensions of change
- Develop understanding and mastery of the four skills most essential to effective leadership
- Learn how to synthesize leadership skills to effect change
Digital Resources for/from this book can be accessed HERE.
ABOUT THE AUTHORS:
Anthony Muhammad, PhD, is a much sought-after educational speaker and presenter. A practitioner for nearly 20 years, he has served as a middle school teacher, assistant principal, and principal, and also as a high school principal.
Luis F. Cruz, PhD, is former principal of Baldwin Park High School, located east of Los Angeles, California. He has been a teacher and administrator at the elementary, middle, and high school levels.
“Muhammad and Cruz combine decades of leadership and change theory with the practical experience that comes from their own highly successful track records in leading both structural and cultural change. This highly practical and readable research-based guide should be in every leader’s toolbox.” – Robert Eaker, Educational Consultant and Author
“A seminal book that not only inspires leaders to take action but also advances the strategies and approaches necessary to achieve transformational outcomes. A must-read book for any current or aspiring educational leader.” – Wade Smith, Superintendent, Walla Walla Public Schools, Washington
“Too many leaders have substituted planning and processes for results, leaving their teams exhausted and cynical. Muhammad and Cruz provide a constructive alternative with their four-component model of systemic change. Leaders at every level will benefit from the insights and practical ideas in these pages.” – Douglas Reeves, Educational Consultant and Author; Founder, Creative Leadership Solutions