These activities provide a comprehensive programme of work for reinforcing reading skills. The tasks are structured in such a way that most may be used with any text, making them applicable, not only to class lessons, but also to reading groups, individual work, library session tasks or homework.
The activities cover:
- Concepts such as main idea, value judgements and formulating questions from a text
- The comparison of book genre
- An investigation into character
- An exploration into the effects of time and setting on a book
- An examination of the important features of non-fiction texts
- And the importance of structures such as titles, opening paragraphs and sentence construction