Harnessing oral language to develop early readers
The Say, Read, Succeed series offers a tremendous variety of oral language activities and extension ideas to prepare children at junior levels for reading and writing. Each book provides a comprehensive programme to achieve key literacy goals, on the principle that stronger oral language skills will strengthen reading, writing and spelling skills (e.g. phonemic awareness, ability to sound out and segment words and sentence production skills). These books are dedicated to popular early childhood themes (animals; me; characterisation and celebrations) and develop their theme through a focus on nursery rhymes (Books 1 and 2) or stories and poems (Book 3), each of which provides the basis for oral language activities for one week.
Teaching and learning support is an integral part of each activity page. The learning outcome makes the intention of the activity clear to both teacher and students. Additional guidance comes from an assessment rubric: by making learning transparent for the student and the teacher, it shows where the student is at and what their next step in learning is, based on the three progressions of Higher Order Thinking (HOT) – surface, deep and conceptual. All books are packed with attractive blackline masters, including an illustrated version of each poem.
Features of this Series:
- Offers a comprehensive reading, writing and speaking programme for young children
- Builds on popular early childhood themes and fun writing forms to develop Higher Order Thinking (HOT) skills
- Provides a wide range of attractive blackline masters for games and activities plus illustrated poems as a focus for discussion
- Contains clear guidance on both learning intentions and next steps, along with extension support
What’s in each book:
- Book 1: Nursery rhyme activities to build oral language and early reading skills – Nursery Rhymes & Animals
- Book 2: Nursery rhyme activities to build oral language and early reading skills – Nursery Rhymes & Me
- Book 3: Story and poem activities to build oral language and early reading skills – Fairytales, Limericks, Characters & Celebrations