The TRP (Taking Responsibility Programme) is based on students accumulating points as a consequence of their behaviour. Inappropriate behaviour attracts ‘inappropriate points’. The type of behaviour that is unacceptable is clearly stated and students are involved in deciding how many points different behaviours will attract. Taking part in TRP involves completing worksheets that encourage the students to reflect on their behaviour and to consider why and how they could avoid repeating it.
Book 1 introduces TRP in detail while Book 2 provides an array of additional student worksheets. A complementary reward system, SRP (Showing Responsibility Programme) is also outlined in Book 1.
The Taking Responsibility Programme is about helping students make quality choices and learn self-control. This has many positive spin-offs for students and school including:
- Positive school/classroom climate
- Friendly, respectful relationships with others
- Ability for students to think before acting
- Safe environment
- Ability to self-regulate behaviour
- More on-task, purposeful learning experiences resulting in more quality output