SALF: Primary School Guidelines for Teachers - Revised Edition - 2018
COMING SOON - AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER - DUE: MAY 2018
S.A.L.F. - Self Assessment and Learning Folders - Primary School Guidelines for Teachers - Revised Edition - 2018
The Self Assessment and Learning Folders revised guidelines provide schools and teachers with a structured framework that bridges teacher-led learning and assessment with child-led learning and assessment. These guidelines are based on socio-constructivist principles of learning and provide a framework for teachers that enable children to become more active in their own learning and in the assessment of that learning.
The revised guidelines bring together in one chapter, ten strategies/methodologies that best develop children’s competencies for peer and self assessment. The revised guidelines outline clearly the ten steps in creating, compiling and completing Self Assessment and Learning Folders. These ten steps are now streamlined and the same for all classes from Junior Infants to Sixth classes. A specific chapter aimed at supporting teachers in further developing SALF with Middle and Senior classes is now included. A dedicated chapter on helping schools develop SALF as a whole school initiative based on the experiences of the current authors in their schools and their experience working with principals and teachers engaged in ongoing professional development of assessment in practice. It includes a sample implementation time-frame, together with strategies for supporting the involvement of parents/guardians/carers and others in the process.
Other new Features:
- Revised templates at the end of each chapter
- Current authentic work samples from the classroom
- Vibrant photos of SALF in action in the classroom
- How to incorporate digital learning in the SALF process
Included with the Revised Guidelines:
- The DVD: 'Self Assessment and Learning Folders - Teacher (Primary) DVD' is a comprehensive 45 minute DVD that was shot on location in Irish primary schools, where SALF was piloted as a teaching methodology in the classroom. It gives snapshots of different aspects of SALF in the everyday teaching environment
- The accompanying CD includes all templates and sample letters in English and Irish for convenience of reproducing (Letters are also in MS-Word for schools to personalise).
Revised by: Aideen O’Mahoney B.Ed & Rose Marie Corry Ryan B.Ed. M.Ed
- Adapted from the original SALF Guidelines for Teachers written by Joan Keating N.T. B.Ed & Siobhán Cahillane-McGovern Ph.D
Age Suitability: All Primary
Publication Date: May 2018