Author(s): David Wechsler
Publication Year: 2011
Age Range: 6 years to 90 years 11 months
Administration: Individual – Four Subtest Form = 30 minutes; Two Subtest Form = 15 minutes
Qualification Code: CL1
The Wechsler Abbreviated Scale of Intelligence – Second Edition (WASI–II), a revision of the WASI, provides a brief, reliable measure of cognitive ability for use in clinical, educational and research settings. This revision maintains the format and structure of the WASI while offering new content and improvements to provide greater clinical utility and efficiency.
Users & Applications
Psychologists and researchers can use this quick and reliable measure when screening for learning difficulties or intellectual giftedness, or for other purposes:
- Screen to determine if in-depth intellectual assessment is needed
- Reassess after a comprehensive evaluation
- Estimate Full Scale IQ (FSIQ) scores in busy practice settings
- Assess cognitive functioning of individuals referred for psychiatric evaluations
- Provide FSIQ scores for vocational, rehabilitation, or research purposes
Content & Administration
The WASI–II builds on the strength of the WASI by providing updated versions of the WASI Vocabulary, Similarities, Block Design and Matrix Reasoning subtests, flexible administration options (i.e., four- or two-subtest versions), and strengthened connections with the WISC®–IV and WAIS®–IV.
The WASI-II subtests have been updated to provide a variety of improvements including shortened and streamlined instructions, better floors and ceilings, as well as item content that more closely mirrors that of the WISC–IV and the WAIS–IV.