NB: Only available to clients based in the Republic of Ireland – qualification criteria applies (see qualification code and link below)
Author(s): Irla Lee Zimmerman, PhD, Roberta Evatt Pond, Violette G Steiner
Publication Year: 2014
Age Range: Birth to 7 years 11 months
Administration: Pointing or verbal response to pictures and objects – Completion Time: 45-60 minutes
Qualification Code: B
PLS-5-UK offers you a comprehensive developmental language assessment, with items that range from pre-verbal, interaction-based skills to emerging language and early literacy.
How different is PLS-5-UK
- Streamlined Administration: Some tasks were combined in PLS-5-UK to minimise switching between presentation of manipulables and the Picture Manual.
- Improvements to test items: PLS-5-UK includes modifications that better elicit target responses and make the items easier to administer and score. Approximately 25% of the items on PLS-5-UK are new; 50% have been modified based on clinician feedback and expert review; 25% are unchanged.
- Addition of growth scale values: PLS-5-UK now includes Growth Scale Values that were developed so that you can track progress for children from birth to age 7.
- Now to Age 7: Now you are able to assess language from emerging communication behaviours through emerging language and literacy skills to age 7:11. This will provide a single, standardised measure for children with significant deficits who are being tracked from a very young age.
- Updated articulation screener: You can now test multiple phonemes within words. PLS-5-UK includes picture stimuli to elicit target words. The screener takes less than 2 minutes to administer.
Features and benefits
- Administer PLS-5-UK to test a full range of language skills across the developmental language spectrum
- Link the Home Communication Questionnaire items directly to test tasks to serve as a baseline for testing. This frees testing time for observing natural interactions between parents and children from Birth–2:0
- Target interaction, attention, vocal/gestural behaviours, and different levels of play for children from Birth to 2:11
- Assess preschool children with new items for letter naming and book handling, and updated school readiness skills
- Address a wider variety of early play behaviours
- Better elicit target responses due to test item modifications that are based on examiner feedback
- Minimise transitions between the play and picture pointing tasks now that test items with manipulatives are grouped to streamline administration
- Engage children with the new Picture Manual featuring large, colourful illustrations
- Many of the manipulatives are plastic (including Mr. Bear) so they can be wiped clean after each administration