As Carolyn Coil has worked with teachers and parents over the past few years, she has heard this question over and over again. There is no answer, but multiple answers and strategies. Self esteem, study skills, motivation, parent/teacher collaboration… all play a role in solving the puzzle of underachievement.
The purpose of this book is to share some answers by presenting a multitude of strategies that work with underachievers. Not all strategies will work with all students; the intention is that the reader picks the ones that look as if they will be workable with an individual student in a given situation and tries them.
Areas covered in this title include:
- Building self-esteem
- Improving study skills
- Remediating academic weaknesses
- Motivation – an essential element of achievement
- Working with the parents of underachievers
- Flexibility and change within the school system
- Addresses a wide range of symptoms and causes of underachievement.
- Provides examples of ways to counteract destructive influences that can surround underachievers.
- Presents over 200 numbered strategies that are designed to turn underachievers into achievers.
The strategies in this book (220 in all) are numbered for easy reference. Pick and choose among them and motivate your underachievers!