Finding mathematics resources that both cover curriculum requirements for the whole class and stretch the most eager and capable young mathematicians can be a tall order. This second edition of the Maths Problem Solving for Higher Achieving Students series will do just that.
It is an extension and enrichment programme for upper primary and lower secondary students, providing teachers with a range of problem-solving activities, in task card format, designed for highly-able students.
As well as providing introductory lesson tasks that give all students an abundance of materials to work through at the level that is appropriate to them, it offers enrichment and extension activities for higher achieving students to work above and beyond the normal mathematics curriculum and develop their higher-order thinking skills.
Students are challenged in a variety of ways, with each of the three sections providing a different experience of the problem-solving process.
- The first section takes a scaffolded approach with three levels of instruction
- The second section encourages students to think broadly to solve open-ended problems, recognising that any such problem has more than one possible answer
- The third section presents general word problems to build on and reinforce the link between literacy and problem-solving.
Detailed solutions to questions in all sections are also provided.
- Book 1: 12-14+ (60 pages)
- Book 2: 12-14+ (60 pages)