The Learning Support Teacher: A Practical Guide was developed during three years of summer inservice courses organised by Blackrock Education Centre (Dublin, Ireland) in collaboration with St. Oliver Plunkett Special School (Dublin, Ireland). With a broad range of practical strategies and suggestions, this manual is designed to support the work of Learning Support Teachers(LST), especially those recently appointed to the position.
In addition to LSTs this manual will assist and inspire Resource Teachers, Class Teachers, Parents, and anyone involved in helping children with learning disabilities. In particular it will help them to:
- Recognise the problems presented by children with Specific Learning Difficulties (SLDs).
- Analyse the extent of the problem(s).
- Begin to organise remediation.
The following topics are addressed
- Specific Learning Difficulties
- Learning Support
- Dyslexia – Identification, Assessment and SupportReading
- Spelling – Effective Teaching Strategies for Spelling
- Information Technology in the Classroom
About the Author:
Dr. Thérése McPhillips is a lecturer in the Education Department in St. Patrick’s College Drumcondra, where she specialises in literacy education. She has extensive teaching experience in both special and mainstream classes and is a former principal of a special school for children with specific reading difficulties.
Blackrock Education Centre is a Department of Education and Science (Irish Government) sponsored support service to schools. Managed by local teachers, parents and school management. it is committed to providing a responsive and practical service.Website: www.blackrockec.ie
[CODE: BEC-8749 Pages: 176 A4 Spiral-bound]
Other title by Dr. Thérése McPhillips:
- Supporting Teaching and Learning in the Second-Level School – A Resource for Teachers