– A Teacher’s Guide to Applying Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
In the third edition of UDL Now!, Katie Novak provides practical insights and savvy strategies for helping all learners succeed in a post-pandemic world using the principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) – see 5-minute explanation video below.
This powerful guide for educators covers timely topics including:
- Supporting UDL within multi-tiered systems of support (MTSS)
- UDL in the service of equity
- Recruiting and engaging learners as UDL partners
- How UDL and Differentiated Instruction (DI) work together
- The role of student choice and voice
- What learning expertise really means
- Preparing for standardized assessments the UDL way
Novak presents examples throughout the book to make the content relevant and digestible. She concludes each chapter with reflection questions to help teachers apply key concepts to their work.
Table of Contents:
- Foreword by George Couros
- Short and Sweet Intro to Updated and Revised. . . Again
- Chapter 1: Don’t Do It Alone
- Chapter 2: UDL and Equity
- Chapter 3: Differentiating Between UDL and Differentiated Instruction
- Chapter 4: Recruiting and Engaging Learners as UDL Partners
- Chapter 5: The Power of Expert Learning
- Chapter 6: Firm Goals and UDL Implementation
- Chapter 7: Unpacking Choice and Voice
- Chapter 8: But What About Standardized Assessments?
- UDL Resources
- About the Authors
About the Author:
Katie Novak, EdD, is an internationally renowned education consultant, author, graduate instructor at the University of Pennsylvania, and a former Assistant Superintendent of Schools in Massachusetts. Katie has two decades of experience in teaching and administration, has an earned doctorate in curriculum and teaching from Boston University, and has authored or co-authored 10 published books, including the best-sellers Equity by Design, UDL and Blended Learning, and Innovate Inside the Box: Empowering through UDL and the Innovator’s Mindset.
What is UDL? (Duration: 5 minutes):
“UDL Now!” New Edition: Third Time is a Charm Webinar (Duration: 57 minutes):