A Classroom Activity Resource for Australian and New Zealand Students
There is more to reading than the mechanics of sounds, spelling, grammar and even comprehension. Reading is, at its heart, a problem-solving exercise, one through which readers must learn to analyse and evaluate information from a variety of sources.
Critical Reading is a classroom resource designed to support middle to upper primary students in extending their reading beyond the words. Distinguished author Peter Clutterbuck’s carefully crafted activities will develop students’ critical thinking and research abilities through targeted practice. Upon completion of this book, students will be able to:
- Judge the soundness of facts
- Differentiate fact from fiction, fantasy or opinion
- Locate, extract and synthesise information
- Assess the validity of arguments
- Ascertain the purpose of written words or codes
- Draw inferences from information given.
With relevant, real-world examples, Clutterbuck moves beyond the curriculum to equip students with skills that will prove useful in all aspects of their study and lives.