PARENTS: If a Welcome to Well-Being Pupil Book is on a school booklist, we recommend that you click the Stockists icon on this page to search for a local supplier which may avoid or reduce delivery charges.
The Welcome to Well-Being programme is a multi-year programme for children from Junior Infants to First Class (Ages: 4-7+). It is designed to enhance children’s well-being across all dimensions – social, emotional, spiritual, physical and mental. Enhancing children’s well-being can lead to a wide variety of other successful outcomes including increased academic performance, better relationships and increased resilience. (Waters, 2011; Park & Peterson, 2008).
The programme is based on Positive Psychology, which is the science of well-being. It is designed to be implemented as part of the SPHE curriculum. The theme of the programme is that two small gender-neutral aliens called Mo and Ko have come from the planet Zo to help children to feel happy, strong, kind and brave, loving and well. Each week they introduce children to a new idea and they set a challenge for the children to try it out for the week – at home as well as at school.
The three levels in the programme are:
Each level consists of:
- Teacher Resource Book which comes with a comprehensive Digital Companion Page containing Lesson Plans, PowerPoints, videos, online games & activities, classroom posters, supplementary activities, a self-assessment tool and much more.
- Pupil Book (including activities for each lesson, homework activity and a pull-out parent/guardian/carer guide to encourage support and involvement at home)
- Poster Pack: 12 x A3 (45cm x 32cm) posters, printed on card and stored in a polythene sleeve for safekeeping. These are the same posters (but larger and printed on high-quality, silk-finish, 300 g/sm card) that are included in the back of the Teacher Resource Book and on the corresponding Digital Companion Page.
You can LOOK INSIDE the books to see their content by selecting either the teacher book or pupil book option from the dropdown menu above. The look inside feature will appear under the dropdown menu
Schools may order FREE SAMPLES of the Welcome to Well-Being Pupil books by clicking HERE.
Specific Aims of this level: Welcome to Well-Being – Book A: Meet Mo and Ko (Junior Infants / Ages: 4-5)
- To increase children’s understanding of specific emotions including happiness, sadness, anger, pride and bravery
- To encourage children to accept and express all of their emotions in a positive way
- To provide children with the opportunity to up-regulate the following positive emotions – joy, happiness, gratitude, serenity (calm), pride and humour
- To provide children with the opportunity to regulate and express their feelings of sadness and anger
- To promote a feeling of self-confidence and self-worth
- To promote self-efficacy through giving children strategies to deal with their strong emotions
- To develop pro-social relationships through encouraging acts of kindness and appropriate expression of emotions
You can try out a FREE LESSON from any of the three Welcome to Well-Being Levels (Junior Infants, Senior Infants and/or First Class). Click on the highlighted lesson below to go to the FREE LESSON page where you will be able to access this lesson and a lesson from each of the other two levels.
Lessons in Book A:
- Lesson 1: It’s good to be me
- Lesson 2: All feelings are OK
- Lesson 3: I’m ready for my big feelings
- Lesson 4: Spread happiness – You can try this lesson for free
- Lesson 5: It’s cool to be calm
- Lesson 6: It’s OK to feel sad
- Lesson 7: I’m proud of myself
- Lesson 8: It’s OK to feel angry
- Lesson 9: I can be brave
- Lesson 10: It’s good to be me
About the Author:
Fiona Forman is an author, speaker, facilitator and trainer in the area of well-being and Positive Psychology. Having spent many years as a primary school teacher, she is absolutely passionate about placing well-being at the heart of school life and she has seen first-hand the great benefits of empowering children, teachers and parents to understand, value and enhance their own mental health. Fiona holds an M. Sc. in Applied Positive Psychology, the science of well-being, from the University of East London. She is the co-author of Weaving Well-Being, a positive mental health programme for primary school children (ages: 8-12) that is now in use in the majority of primary schools in Ireland as well as being licensed to Australian publisher Hawker Brownlow Education and UK publisher Pearson Education. Fiona has recently had her own well-being programme for secondary schools published. This is called Wired for Well-Being and is suitable for children aged 12-15. She has also had this Welcome to Well-Being programme published which is suitable for children aged 5 to 7+.
More information on the Welcome to Well-Being programme is available on the Welcome to Well-Being Homepage.