The Five Cs of Nurturing Heart Centered Learning – Community – Courage – Confidence – Compassion – Consciousness
Build a thriving school community that creates healthy, resilient and successful students. A companion to Mindfulness Practices, this research-backed guide outlines how to teach self-regulation by fostering the five Cs of
social-emotional learning and mindfulness: The authors provide a wealth of practical exercises, strategies and tools to bring this scientifically proven approach to life across grade levels and subject areas.
Schools that are compassionate, caring and community-centred create healthier, more successful students. As such, in Mindful School Communities, the authors offer an in-depth guide to the five Cs:
All built on a wealth of research, including an original, tested tool that assesses a school’s efforts toward compassionate action.
- Benefit from exercises that infuse social-emotional learning into the academic curriculum across subjects and grade levels
- Discover historical examples of consciousness, compassion, confidence, courage and community with ideas for incorporating them into classwork
- Become familiar with different ways educators have implemented Heart Centered Learning in their schools and classrooms
- Work with numerous exercises, activities, strategies and mindsets that mix vulnerability and strength and ameliorate trauma
- Learn ways to assess the five Cs factors, including the research-based S-CCATE, to provide evidence for what might seem unquantifiable
About the Authors:
Christine Mason, PhD, is an educational psychologist, researcher, consultant and mindfulness yoga meditation instructor. She facilitates dynamic workshops for educators that incorporate the latest neuroscience research with practical strategies for improving school climate and academic achievement.
Yvette Jackson, EdD, is a former teacher who served New York City Public Schools as director of gifted programmes and executive director of instructional and professional development.
Michele Rivers Murphy is a seasoned consultant, presenter and educational leader. A change agent for over two decades, she has helped transform some of the highest-needs neighborhoods and districts by improving student engagement, school culture and academic success.