This latest edition in the Superflex series is a compilation work that introduces 82 new Unthinkables and 14 new Thinkables submitted by Social Town citizens of all ages. Unthinkables and Thinkables are grouped by theme/category for easy reference by student or adult, and each entry includes the character’s power, related information about its characteristics, and strategies to defeat the Unthinkable or bolster a Thinkable’s help.
Superflex’s Very Cool Five-Step Power Plan
The focal point of the book is a brand new teaching strategy developed by Stephanie Madrigal and Michelle Garcia Winner called Superflex’s Very Cool Five-Step Power Plan. It provides students with even more tools to strengthen their social processing.
In the Power Plan, students learn about 5 critical powers:
- #1 Decider: the ability to stop, decide, and describe which Unthinkable(s) is trying to overpower your superflexible thinking. As Decider explained to Superflex, it doesn’t make sense to use a strategy designed to defeat Mean Jean if he was trying to defeat WasFunnyOnce!
- #2 Social Detective: the ability to stop and observe the situation and the people in it. Social Detective taught Superflex about using clues from his eyes, ears, and brain to help understand the situation and the people in the situation.
- #3 Brakester: the power to stop and think to discover the hidden rules. Brakester talked about how the hidden rules are almost like hidden treasures because they’re the secrets of the social situation and help to explain why people are expected to act in certain ways!
- #4 Flex DoBODY: the power to use flexible thinking to determine strategies to use to do what’s expected. Flex showed Superflex things he must practice each day to learn to flexibly pick the best choice to make at the right time and in the right place. Superflex understood that thinking and observing are super important but using flexible thinking, making choices, and carrying out a plan to defeat an Unthinkable are also important. This power helps Superflex finish any job he’s started!
- #5 Cranium Coach: using self-talk with help from your built-in brain coach! From Cranium Coach, Superflex learned how to use his inner brain coach to motivate himself to keep working to defeat whatever Unthinkable was near or to call on a Thinkable when necessary.