Qualification Requirements for Assessments
We at Outside the Box Learning Resources Ltd. (OTB), are committed to ensuring professional standards in testing are maintained at all times. Restricted assessments will only be supplied to individuals, schools or institutions (within the Republic of Ireland) where evidence of there being a ‘Qualified User’ is provided ensuring that all assessments and tests are being used where the ‘Qualified User’ has the appropriate training and expertise in the assessment being used.
The ‘Qualified User’ is the individual who assumes responsibility for all aspects of the use of the assessment including administration, scoring, interpretation and application of results. Certain assessments can be administered or scored by individuals with less training, provided they are under the supervision of the ‘Qualified User’. To support this policy, all individuals, schools or institutions (within the Republic of Ireland) wishing to order a restricted assessment must get the intended ‘Qualified User’ to complete a ‘Professional Qualification Registration’ form (PQR). This can be done online or by downloading the form and returning it to us:
Qualification Levels Explained
There are now three universal qualification levels used by assessment publishers around the world. These are Level A, B & C – details as follows:
Qualification Level A (previously CL3)
There are no special qualifications to purchase these products. However, all are restricted to qualified teachers/therapists (not individuals) and assessments can only be sent to a school/college/healthcare address (not home addresses). Some Level A education assessments require the user to have further qualifications (e.g. Masters or Postgrad in special education) and/or training on the use and interpretation of psychometric testing (e.g. WIAT-III UK-T ). It is recommended that you complete the PQR form below and discuss the use of the test with the school’s psychologist.
Qualification Level B (previously CL2 / CL2R)
Tests may be purchased by individuals with:
- A master’s degree in psychology, education, speech and language therapy, occupational therapy, social work, counselling or in a field closely related to the intended use of the assessment and formal training in the ethical administration, scoring and interpretation of clinical assessments.
- Certification by or full active membership in a professional organisation (such as RCOT, RCSLT, BMA, RCN, RCPsych, SASC) that requires training and experience in the relevant area of assessment.
- A degree or licence to practice in the healthcare or allied healthcare field.
- Formal, supervised mental health, speech/language, occupational therapy, social work, counselling, and/or educational training specific to assessing children, or in infant and child development, and formal training in the ethical administration, scoring, and interpretation of clinical assessments.
- Work for an accredited institution
Qualification Level C (previously CL1)
Tests with a C qualification require a high-level of expertise in test interpretation and can be purchased by individuals with:
- A doctorate degree in psychology, education, or a closely related field with formal training in the ethical administration, scoring, and interpretation of clinical assessments related to the intended use of the assessment.
- Licensure or certification to practice in a field related to the purchase.
- Certification by or full active membership in a professional organisation (such as BPS, ACP-UK, AEP, BNS) that requires training and experience in the relevant area of assessment.